Open call for Curator in Residence
SEA Foundation Tilburg 2017. Image credits: Niek Hendriks
Funded curator residency
Open call for a funded residency for curators. SEA Foundation welcomes applications from a wide spectrum of curatorial practices, research interests and professional backgrounds. We invite curators to apply for flexible residencies up to two months.
The aim of this Curator in Residence programme is to provide time, space and access to resources for curators to develop an exhibition, project or event. It offers curators opportunities to familiarise themselves with the visual art scene in the south of the Netherlands, and to make meaningful professional connections and relationships, refine networking skills and build vital professional skills..
To allow for ample research and project development, and time to collaborate with the creative community at SEA Foundation, the curator in residence is offered an individually suited programme where artists, curators, and other art professionals come together to create work and discuss themes in contemporary artistic practices. Curators are encouraged to meet with artists-in-residence, share their research in the form of a presentation and engage with SEA Foundation’s curatorial and artistic staff.
We expect that applicants will be developing projects or developing their research with some form of future public outcome in mind.
If an exhibiting partner for the proposed project is not yet identified, some assistance or coordination may be provided to secure an external opportunity for final presentation of the work created while in residence.
The aims are:
- To support the presentation of art and the theory of art
- To evoke discourses on art and curatorial practices within a local and global context
- To promote and relay critical and researched-based production of art
- To facilitate exchange between art intermediaries and artists, creating a network of experts
Between 2 weeks and 2 months
1 October – 30 November 2017
Who should apply?
The SEA Foundation Curator in Residence programme is for emerging as well as established curators. This funded residency is open to curators exploring pertinent topics within today’s visual art and art criticism.
Funded by SEA:
- Studio and private living quarters fully furnished
- Including, heating, water and electricity
- Use of shared kitchen and common residency rooms
- High speed WIFI
- Use of workshop
- Use of art-related library
- Interaction with local artists, peers and other residents
- Office facilities and printers
- PR activities
- Free parking
- Bike on loan
- Stipend of 200 euro per week
- Production budget 1500 euro
Paid by the resident:
- Travel costs
- Personal expenses
- Application fee 30 euro
Apply with a project proposal
The application should consist of the following documents
- Application form (incomplete forms are not considered)
- CV and portfolio (max. 10 pages)
- Project description & schedule (max 3000 words)
- Motivation (max. 300 words)
- Details of 2 professional references
The application must be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org before the 15th of August 2017, 12 noon.
Artistic merit is the basis for selection. All applications will be judged by a panel consisting of SEA Foundation team members, complemented by international advisors.
Deadline: 15 August 2017, 12 noon
Selection process: August 2017
Start of residencies: October and November 2017
Application fee: 30 euro.
Please note that we can only review your application after receiving the application fee.
There are three ways to pay the application fee.
By bank – direct debit. Account holder name: Stichting SEA Foundation, Tilburg, Netherlands
By Paypal – see instructions on the application form
By credit card – using the donation button
Mandatory communication: name-res2017-curator
For more information, please contact the residency coordinator email@example.com or +31 (0) 13 544 4495 / www.seafoundation.eu