Open Call | Artist in Residence
Graphic design by Jinhye Lee
SEA Foundation - AiR Tilburg
SEA Foundation’s AiR Tilburg invites applicants for its 2022-2023 residency programme. The programme is designed for the 21st-century art professional. Specifically visual artists whose work and life demands both a rigorous engagement, as well as an urgency to drive progress. We believe that the contemporary art practice requires both flexibility, along with stability, a self-directed approach, and a guided environment.
Relevant candidates envision a solid plan for development and production during their residency period. Moreover, they are willing to participate within the rhythm, the open participative atmosphere, and the artistic challenge which drives our artist-led institute.
• Supporting the production of art and the development of one’s artist practice
• Stimulating discourse on art and art practices within a local and global context
• Promoting and passing on critical, researched-based production of art
• Facilitating exchange between art intermediaries and artists, creating an expert network
Flexible up to 8 weeks.
• Autumn 2022
• Winter 2022/2023
• Spring 2023
• Age 25+
• You have a professional practice
• Students cannot apply
- Live / work studio 100 m2
- Private bathroom and kitchenette
- Use of common kitchen and library
- Mentoring and support by SEA team members
- Opportunities for exchange, exhibition or event
- 550 euro per week when in residence
- Artistic merit: this includes the quality of your work.
- The relevance for your practice: this includes how your practice is related to a global or local context.
- Your attitude and skills: this includes your ambition, your visual and reflective skills.
- All applications will be judged by a panel consisting of the SEA Foundation directors, curators and assistants.
The Artists in Residence programme affords opportunities for experimentation to try out new ideas, practices, and strategies. SEA Foundation internationally promotes relevant artistic production, research, and discussion. Residencies are intended for contemporary artists of all disciplines. Particularly with specialized training, recognition amongst peers, and a history of public presentation of their work in a professional context. Residents are expected to produce new work or develop their research with some form of a future public outcome, like a public exhibition, lecture, event, workshop or artist’s book in mind. Bespoke mentoring and training up to 4 hours per week are included in the programme.
Art and Sustainability
Artists play a vital role in contributing to the socio-political discourse on contemporary ecological issues in our society. Especially in the role of commenting on the status quo and asking critical questions on what it means to live now, and how we can be attentive today.
Therefore, SEA Foundation is running a long-term programme on art and sustainability. In 12 chapters called ‘folds’ we explore the vision and expression of artists on these global issues, in collaboration with peers, researchers and scholars. The folds of 2022-2023 will interest Awakening, Re-imagining and Solidarity. Learn more about our long-term programme and folds.
How to Apply?
- Applying is done digitally
- Via online application form
- Artist duo’s and collectives may also apply
- Application fee is €35
extended to 17.04.2022 midnight (CET)
03.04.2022 Noon (CET)